We’re excited to announce the winners of the 7th Annual CLYNK for Schools Recycling Challenge. This year, schools from all over Maine and New York recycled enough cans and bottles to raise a grand total of $27,562.50. Hannaford Supermarkets donated $13,782.84 in matching funds.
A note about payouts: First ($1,500) and second ($1,000) prize are awarded per state to schools who collected the highest number of redeemable containers. Third place ($500) is awarded per state to schools that put forth an extraordinary effort, as identified by CLYNK. Participating school organizations collectively raised containers that counted towards their school’s total container count. Organizations will receive the change that they raised plus the Hannaford Supermarkets 50 cent match. The winning schools will receive the prize money.
And now the moment we’ve all been waiting for. Here are your Recycling Challenge winners:
- 1st $1,500 prize: Ocean Avenue Elementary School, Portland, ME ($2,577.08)
- 2nd $1,000 prize: Cape Elizabeth Middle School, Cape Elizabeth, ME ($2,223.18)
- 3rd $500 prize: WG Mallett School, Farmington, ME ($1,384.36) — Extraordinary effort includes but is not limited to: for every bag dropped, participants were entered to win a Kindle Fire and school t-shirt, The Daily Bulldog featured their public bottle drive event, and they basically had their eyes on the prize from day one. Well done!
- 1st $1,500 prize: Shenendehowa High School, Clifton Park, NY ($1,490.86)
- 2nd $1,000 prize: School 18, Troy NY ($986.03)
- 3rd $500 prize: St. Mary’s Institute, Amsterdam, NY ($426.23) — Extraordinary effort includes but is not limited to: requested a visit from CLYNK to give a presentation on recycling, rallied faculty to participate along with students and families, consistent social media presence encouraging the school to CLYNK. Excellent enthusiasm! You earned it.
Congratulations, and thank you to everyone who participated in this great “collective effort” to improve the environment and make a change. We’re proud of you whether your school CLYNKed 20 cans or 20,000 containers. Thanks for making the 7th Annual CLYNK for Schools Recycling Challenge such a huge success!